AF011: Secrets of Great Copywriting with Derek Johanson, Part-2
Secrets of Great Copywriting with Derek Johanson, Part-2
How does a starting entrepreneur crush their limiting beliefs, break down the barriers holding them back and build a location independent business that sets them free?
Find out in this episode of the Authority Marketing Podcast as Derek Johanson from Copy Hour shares his journey, reveals what he’s learned about Copy Writing, Location Independence and Online Marketing Funnels.
Derek Johanson is the star of Copy Hour. He’s a skilled Online Marketer and Master Copywriter. Your in for a treat as Derek is about to share all that experience with you now.
- Obstacles and difficulty are always there. Entrepreneurship is meant to be difficult. It’s the difficulty that makes it so good because through trying, learning, failing and trying again you grow into the person you need to become to experience the success you desire.
- Enjoy the challenge! Develop the mind set that your going to have fun learning how to live the life you want.
- Set triggers that reward you when you do succeed. Then anchor the success by things like flexing your arms right when you have a big success. This will anchor success into your physiology and see you get more and more of it.
- Ebook for James Bond fans – This ebook business helped Derek have the money to travel around Thailand.
- Small Publishing Company – This went okay for awhile, due to a lack in planning they ended up splitting up and parting ways, so Derek sees this as a failed business. Derek mentioned that even though it failed there were lots of lessons in the business.
- Consulting Business – He still runs this business today. He helps people out with their copy writing and their marketing.
- Lessons – learning from the failures to see why things didn’t work. Derek now being a student of copy writing it’s much easier for him to see why a business didn’t work. All the fundamental sales principals that were developer decades and centuries ago by copy writers and direct marketers are still more or less exactly the same now.
- Copy Hour – This business was never meant to grow into a big business. It was a community that was set up because Derek loves Copy Writing and he had lots of buddies that loved Copy Writing.
- Now the business is growing consistently every day! He learned because of this that building a business around your passions and really knowing what your market is looking for is so very important to creating success.
Derek’s Secret to Copywriting
- Gary Halbert said to be the greatest copy writer that ever lived is the true founder of this secret stated the following:
- The fastest way to become a world class copy writer is to find their sales pieces and hand write them word for word several times. This see’s their work become in-grained into your sub conscious mind. You will also begin to see the patterns that emerge much faster than trying to learn it through studying courses.
- It’s also recommended that you collect a swipe file of very successful promotions and study them for similarities.
Lesson on Copy Writing:
- Write copy that looks like its editorial or fits the platform you put it on.
- Secrets are very powerful, revealing secrets is very attention grabbing.
- Share stories that are very engaging, breakthroughs, discoveries, miracles, etc.
- Stories covering things like being down on luck then discovering something that leads to a break through.
- The story should deal with the customers specific issues, problems and situations.
- Must always lead to a call to action to either enquire, request more or buy.
- Ads should play to either ease of implementation, speed or results or reduction of pain, etc.
- In simplicity the ad should lead people away from pain and towards pleasure.
- Your copy writing must include testimonials and case studies.
- You should always include a guarantee, trust seals and powerful bullet points of benefits.
- Ads that look like news pull.
- Secrets, people love secrets.
- Specific kinds of stories sell.
- If your not an expert tell them why that doesn’t matter.
- People like buying from people, not corporations.
- Fast and easy results or accelerated results.
- Speed and ease that’s why people buy.
- Include some emotional pulls.
- Throw in some mystery, don’t give away the farm.
- No brainer guarantees always have a no brainer guarantee.
Independence in 90 Days:
- Step 1: Start with building some skills related to marketing and copy writing. Get out there and buy all the books and courses you need to understand sales, marketing and whatever specific skills you need.
- Step 2: Choose the business model and niche you want to go into; then go for it. Work your tail off and just work, work, work.
- Step 3: Being a consultant could be a good way to start, SaaS can be easier to sell than information.
- Step 4: Get out there and start talking to people, ask them questions about your idea, ask them about their problems, ask them what they need help with and then you’ll gain a better understanding of what to build for people.
- Step 5: Two hours a day is not a whole lot to devote to your business, try and get all in as quickly as you can. Once you can focus entirely on your business you can grow it much faster.
Amazing Business Insight:
- Hand writing world class copy allows you to short cut your way to writing sales letters and copy that pulls big money into your business.
- Copy Hour: Receive a daily lesson and world class piece of copy each day to hand write. You will also get a short lesson about the piece on email and a members community.
- Derek’s Blog: Live Uncomfortably – Break Your Comfort Zones and Live Large with Derek Johanson
- The Foundation: A business community that helps people learn how to grow a SaaS business.